Kansas Photography Studios 1880 -1930
Find Old Time Photos Studios in Kansas
Finding Information about Early Photography Studios in Kansas
One of the ways to solve the mystery of family photos is by finding information on the photography studio. I'm compiling here the names of such businesses in Kansas during the late 1800s and into the early 1900s.
I'm searching in old newspapers to find these studios from the 1880s to 1930. I'll put them in order by the business name and include the name of the town and an estimated date or exact date if possible. Hopefully, for genealogists and family history buffs, this helps them identify the ancestor in their photo.
It's particularly helpful to know when a studio was in business and then compare that with people in the picture and estimate the era from the clothing of children and adults in the portrait.
There will be more studios added as I find them.
Format for Listings
Studio name (alphabetical by last name)
single date (from advertisement)
date range (estimated from known photos)
Advertisement for Brask's Studio
Kansas Photo Studios - A - F
- Adamson - Great Bend & Hoisington KS
- George Aldridge - North Topeka KS, about 1890s, 1901 - 1918 advertisements. 1015 Kansas Avenue.
- J.R. Bacon Studio - Kinsley KS, about 1890s
- Bailey Studio - Wellington KS, about 1900
- Balding Studio - S. Main Street, Wellington KS
- Baldwin & Sons - Wichita KS, about 1880s
- Mrs. Elma Bamberg - Topeka KS, 1918 ad
- Baugh - 815 102 Main Street, Winfield KS, 1916 ad
- C.J. Boeger - Topeka KS, 1918 ad
- Bollow's Art Studio - Osborne KS, about early 1900s
- Willis Brandon - Clyde KS
- Brask's - Winfield KS, 1916 ad
- Bridwell - Baldwin KS, 1912
- Christopher's - Topeka KS, 1918 ad
- D.R. Cottrell - Seneca KS, 1888
- Da Lee - Lawrence KS, 1889 - 1894 estimate
- Eitner - Ottawa KS/Baldwin KS, 1921 - 1922
- Elete - Baldwin KS, 1898 mention
- Miss Everhart - Leavenworth KS
- Falk - Coffeyville KS, around 1926
- T.W. Farr - Baldwin KS, 1912
- Fennelly - Junction City
- Fleischer - Streator KS, about 1890s
- Francis & Hodge - Topeka KS, "The signature in the lower right corner is the photographer's logo, Francis & Hodge. Helen Francis (later Hodge) and L. Cady Hodge. They were a married couple and had a studio in Topeka at 714 Kansas Ave. in the late "teens" through 50's. Lincoln Hodge was an editor for the Topeka Capitol newspaper, Helen was a local artist." 1918 ad
- Maud Frink - Ottawa KS, 1911 ad
Searching by City
To search for a certain city, use Control F on your keyboard to open a search option. Enter the name of the city you want.
Eitner Studio, Ottawa KS
Kansas Photography Studios G - L
- Gregg - Chanute KS
- Haddan - Coffeyville KS, 1909 - 1924 ads
- Hamilton - Lawrence KS, 1885 - 1889
- E. Leota Harper - Topeka KS, 1918 ad
- H.B. Harrison's Sepias - Cedar Vale KS, 1905 ad (Fine up-to-date photos in all the latest finish Carbon, Platino, Sepia, also photos on silk. Harrison's Sepias are Fine, Family groups at your home. Flashlights and Interiors made. Enlarging picture a specialty, I take pleasure in showing my work, Please call at Studio and see samples and get prices. All the latest accessories to work with. I will please you. H.B. Harrison.)
- W.R. Ireland - Holton KS
- Johnston - Belleville KS, about 1890s
- E.V. King - Topeka KS, 1918 ad
- Kingers - Baldwin KS, 1905
- T.H. Lee Photography Studio - Seneca, KS, 1896
- C.F. Lewis - Lawrence KS, early 1900s
- Loomis - Emporia KS, about 1890s
- Loomis - Lawrence KS, 1906 ad
Keep in mind that the date of an advertisement is just a marker for a business. It could have started years before or exist for years after that date.
Kansas Photography Studios M - R
- Martin - Hutchison KS, about 1890s
- Mettner - Lawrence KS
- Metz - Baldwin KS, 1904
- T.I. Moffett - Lawrence KS, bought studio from Morris in 1908
- Morris - Lawrence KS, sold studio to Moffett in 1908
- J.W. Moser - Meade KS, about 1880s - 1890s
- Newby - Baldwin KS, 1909 - 1910
- Nutter - Baldwin KS, 1910 - 1911
- Reese - Mankato KS, about 1890s
- Ringers - Paola KS, 1910 - 1921
- Ritchie Bros - Kingman, maybe 1880 - 1900
- D. Rodocker's - Cedar Vale, Winfield KS, 1884 - 1916
- Rollins - Osborne KS, about 1890s - 1900
Over time, some photography studios were sold and may change names. Some appear to do business in a number of towns, rotating around to serve various communities.
Rodocker Studio Advertisement
More about the Rodocker Studio
Newspaper advertisement from 1904: " D. Rodocker, whose studio is at 814 North Main street, phone 34, has been taking pictures of the people here for the past twenty years. His gallery is well equipped with modern accessories. Mr. Rodocker is a representative or that which is new and high class, that has gone before. The excellency of his work gives more truthful testimony than words express and he is as ever one of the popular leaders of photography in Winfield." (The Winfield Daily Free Press, 29 Mar 1904, Tue • Page 6)
Dates for his photos would be 1884 through at least 1916 (see advertisement above).
Apparently, Rodocker traveled to Cedar Vale, KS, as an advertisement in that paper in 1907 said it was open every 2 weeks on Friday and Saturday. In 1908, O.C. Sartin purchased the Cedar Vale office from Rodocker.
Kansas Photography Studios S - Z
- Juno B. Shane - 615 Massachusetts, Lawrence KS, 1890 - 1907 (later became Thompson's in 1908)
- Snyder - 632 Kansas in 1889, 722 Kansas Avenue, Topeka KS, 1910 -
- Snyder - Burlington KS, 1897 ad, sold to E.C. Wingett in 1899, 1901 ad
- Snyder - 617 Commecial Street, Atchison KS, 1911 ad, 1929 ad, reopened as Sperry-Ferris Studio in 1932
- Spangler & Bridwell - Baldwin KS, 1911
- Squires - Baldwin KS, 1911
- Thompson - Lawrence KS, 1908
- F.A. Trader - Emporia KS, 1886 - 1892 advertisements
- W.C. Triggs - Abilene KS, 1910 - 1916 ads, sold to W.E. Weirman in 1916
- Utter's - Long Island KS, early 1900s, mentioned in Concordia paper in 1913
- Elmer Willis Studio - 925 Massachusetts, Lawrence KS, ads from 1894 - 1903
- E.C. Wingett - Burlington KS, 1899 - 1901 ads
- J.C. Wolcott - 710 Kansas,Topeka KS, 1918 ad & 1928 ad
Snyder's on Commercial Street in Atchison, Kansas
More Places to Find Kansas Photo Studio Information
There's a book,
- Mautz, Carl, 2018, "Biographies of Western Photographers. A Reference Guide to Photographers Working in the 19th Century American West", (Nevada City: Carl Mautz Publishing)
and a very helpful website which has photographers listed by state and also alphabetically: Langdon Road.
By 1910, Cameras Became More Available to Families
Questions & Answers
I have several family photographs with "Goldberg" Studios written on it in pencil, "Wichita, Ks", and probably from the 1930s. Do you know where to find the record?
I found one advertisement in The Catholic Advance (Wichita) for 1939. The studio was located at 221 S. Broadway. I also found a 1928 photo in an Emporia paper that said the photo was by Goldberg Studios of Wichita. So it would seem that the Goldberg Studio was active at least from 1928 to 1939.
© 2018 Virginia Allain