200+ Unique and Meaningful Middle Names for Girls
History of the Middle Name
The Western history of giving middle names dates back to Roman times. The more names you had, the more respected you were considered to be in society. Your first name (praenomen) would be a personal name you were called by, your last name (nomen) would be your family name, and your cognomen typically indicated what branch of the family you belonged to (e.g. Nero Caesar Augustus). Upper-class men all had three or more names, but women only had two. Slaves had only one name.
In the post-Roman Western world, middle names were often saint names, given to both girls and boys at Baptism. In the United States, children typically take their mother's maiden name or the naturally get a third name because they are given a two-word name, such as Mary Anne or Betsy Lou. In recent decades, with famous celebrities going by their middle names, it has become a trend for parents to choose something pretty and meaningful for their daughters that typically compliments the first name.
Tip: Be a bit daring when it comes to choosing a middle name since your daughter won't be called this name out loud. You should choose something really striking and unique, like the name of a planet, an exotic goddess, or a natural element. My favorites are Star, Lake, and Honey.
Cute Middle Names for Girls
- Adele: French for tender and kind
- Alice: Noble and truthful
- Belle: French for beautiful
- Blair: One who dwells in the plains
- Bree: Strong and full of virtue
- Brooke: A gentle stream
- Caprice: French for "whimsical"
- Cerise: French for "cherry"
- Dawn: As bright as the morning rays
- Fawn: Sweet and innocent
- Fern: Fresh like the fern plant
- Leigh: English for delicate or meadow
- Lynn: A pool beneath a waterfall
- Mae: A discerning person
- Love: A unique name for a girl full of affection
- Olive: Like an olive tree
- Pearl: Precious gem
- Rylie: Someone strong
One-Syllable Middle Names
- Blue: A beautiful color that evokes a sense of clarity and serenity
- Dawn: The beginning of a new day
- Faith: Trusting in all things
- Fay/Faye: Old French for "fairy"
- Grace: Meaning "God's favor" or love towards mankind
- Hope: Someone with positive expectation or the virtue of hope
- Jade: A precious green stone
- Jo: A traditional country or Southern name
- Lane: An Old English name for someone who lived in a lane (down a narrow street between fences)
- May or Mae: A pet name for Mary or Margaret
- Paige: Meaning "young helper or child"
- Rain: Nurturing and refreshing
- Ray/Rae/Raye: Bright like the sun's rays
- Reeve: A steward or bailiff
- Rose: Delicate and beautiful like the flower
- Skye/Sky: An ever-growing popular name
Unique and Girly Middle Names
Exotic and Feminine Names
- Zaylee: Of Australian origin. It means flower.
- Anais: Persian goddess of healing and fertility
- Thea: Greek goddess of light
- Demi: Abbreviation of Demetria, the Goddess of corn and harvest
- Arya: Indian word for "goddess"
- Cia: Greek for "of the moon"
- Vera: Latin for "truth"
- Isla: It means "island" in Scottish
- Ireland: Her friends will be green with envy
- Imani: African for "faith"
- Raven: For fans of Edgar Allen Poe or the bird itself
- Reese: Welsh name meaning "enthusiasm"
- Anise: A spice and also means "pure soul"
- Elein: Native American for "as bright as a torch"
- Regan: Irish for "a little ruler"
- Eyre: Like our story heroine, Jane Eyre
Which Celebrity Middle Name Is Your Favorite?
Traditional Middle Names
- Anne or Ann: A name of Jewish origin that means "gracious"
- Marie: Lady of the sea or lady of sorrow
- Claire: Bright and clear
- Jane: God is gracious
- Sue: Associated with the Lily flower because lilies grew in the Biblical city of Susa in Persia.
- Zoe: It means "life" in Greek
- Lee: Chinese for plum
- Kate: Pure or clear
- Louise: German name for "famous warrior"
- Scarlett: Bright red
- Clementine: mild and gentle; associated with the cute citrus fruit
- Violet: A fragrant purple flower
- Elizabeth: God is satisfaction
- Lou: A derivative of Louis, a traditional French name used by many French Kings over the centuries
- Jean: French version of the name "John," which means "the Lord is gracious"
- Sophia: Wisdom or skill
Beautiful, Feminine Middle Names
Strong Middle Names for Girls
- Zion: heaven on earth
- Diana: divine
- Michelle: Like God
- Valerie: brave or valiant
- Serena: a champion
- Audrey: noble strength
- Phoenix: a strong mythical bird
- Brienne: strength
- Billie: resolute protector
- Leona: means lion
Unisex Middle Names
It's becoming a trend to use virtues as names.
Names Inspired by the Natural World
Nature names are great too. Get creative and do something unique!
Common Examples You Can Use
- Anne Marie
- Charlotte Rose
- Kate Louise
- Fanny Mae
- Wilma Lou
- Anna Belle
- Mary Jo