I have many interests and an inability to make up my mind about which one to focus on. That's how I came up with my name: ControlledChaos1.
Some of the most beautiful names I've ever heard have come from parents who have decided to use Mother Nature as inspiration when deciding on a name for their baby. Coming up with such earthy names is fairly easy, as all you really have to do is take a walk along the beach or a stroll through a park, but if you're trying to come up with a name that is unique and somewhat underused, then it may take a little longer.
While the list of names below will contain some names that you may have heard before, I will try to come up with suggestions that you may not have ever heard of. It will be up to you and your partner if you decide to make use of it. No matter what you choose to call the new life you're bringing into the world, I know it will be out of love. Thank you for paying a visit... and congratulations!
The earth has its music for those who will listen.
— George Santayana
Some Popular Baby Names Inspired by Mother Nature
- Aboli: A word of Hindu origin which means, "name of a flower".
- Aspen: A wonderful name inspired by a tree (and a resort in Colorado) that could work for either a boy or girl.
- Brazos: This would go great on a list of earthy names for a baby boy that is inspired by a river in Mexico.
- Calla: Calla lilies are often used as a symbol for purity and means "beautiful" in the Greek language.
- Canyon: A deep ravine that usually has water running through it.
- Cozy: I love the feeling you get when sitting in the woods by a nice campfire.
- Daisy: A somewhat common flower name that is definitely feminine in nature and taken from an Old English that means "day's eye".
- Fauna: the animal life in a certain region
- Flora: the plant life in an area
- Honey: Definitely a unique name for a little girl, and one of nature's sweetest treats.
- Joshua: I have a family member who was given this name because of the night his parents spent (and what they did) at Joshua Tree National Park in California.
- Kestrel: a small falcon
- Shadow: Found everywhere thanks to the sun and the moon.
- Tufa: A hard, volcanic rock that would make a great name for a little boy.
- Willow: A shade tree that has a strong and well-developed root system.
- Zinnia: A flower name that is not used that often but should be.
Natural Names for Newborns
Mother Nature Inspired Baby Names for Girls
- Alba: Who wants to be named after an albatross? I do!
- Andiroba: a tropical tree that is part of the mahogany family
- Angara: a river in Siberia
- Autumn: Depending on where you live, it's one of the most colorful times of the year. (I've actually known a couple of Autumns in my life.)
- Blossom: The most beautiful part of a flower in most cases.
- Dawn: Everyone needs to be out in the woods when dawn arrives at least once in their lives, so they can hear the wonderful concert of the sounds of nature.
- Fleur: means "flower" in French
- Heather: a hardy flower that can grow on hilly or rocky land
- Iris: means "rainbow" in Greek
- Isla: A Scottish name inspired by an island off its west coast called Islay.
- June: A very popular month for weddings.
- Neem: an East Indies tree species
- Olive: A tree that is associated with health, peace and tranquility.
- Roo: named after the kangaroo
- Stella: Latin word for "star"
- Yalu: A river in Asia that helps form the border between China and North Korea.
Mother Nature from Disney Fantasia
A beautifully done piece that reminds all of us of just how cruel and kind Mother Nature can really be, but in the end, always strives to create life. I dare you to watch this video and not feel that your emotions have been put through a blender by the end... creating something wonderful and delicious. All set to the music of Hans Zimmer. Such a shame these types of short films aren't being made that much anymore, isn't it?
More Nature-Themed Baby Names That are Beautiful, Cute and Adorable
Mother Nature Inspired Baby Names for Boys
- Ash: Although a tree, most people associate this word with destruction. Go to a forest one year after a fire and you'll see that the ash has laid the groundwork for amazing growth.
- Ashkii: Means "boy" in Navajo.
- Briar: An unforgettable name for anyone who has ever been trapped in one.
- Casso: Inspired by the Cassowary, which is a flightless bird from Australia.
- Cree: One of the largest Native American Indian tribes.
- Croc: This could be a natural baby name that is a little bit frightening; after the fearsome crocodile.
- Dale: a broad valley
- Eddy: A segment of a river moving in a circular motion; often found in whitewater rapids.
- Flint: A great name for someone who will be growing up during hard times.
- Forrest: This name may be a bit on the spot, but is very popular because of its powerful nature.
- Gadwall: After a species of duck.
- Jasper: A Persian influenced named from a word that means "treasurer".
- Loch: Scottish word for lake
- Moa: An extinct New Zealand bird that couldn't fly.
- Pigeon: Feeding these birds was a fun hobby for me and my grandfather and would make a unique name for a baby boy.
- Rowan: A rowan tree in bloom is a great sight to see.
- Tanager: One of the most beautiful birds in Brazil is the Green Headed Tanager.
Read More From Wehavekids
Beautiful Baby Girl Names Inspired by Mother Earth and the Natural World
Naturally Beautiful Baby Names
- Bindi: An Australian Aboriginal word meaning "little spear" or "little girl".
- Cherry: A name that some think of as provocative, but I have known three women given that name and all are perfect ladies.
- Chia: A plant that is of the mint family, and can be used for either sex.
- Eira: "snow" in Welsh
- Glacier: slow moving river of ice
- Glen: a secluded valley found in mountains
- Loam: rich dirt made up of decaying materials, sand and clay
- Luna: A word almost always associated with Earth's moon.
- Rain: I love the fact that rain can put you to sleep one minute and wake you up the next. Very unpredictable.
- Ridley: inspired from a citizen of the ocean... Kemp's Ridley Turtle
- Salsilla: a tropical flowering vine with edible roots
- Savanna: a grassy plain with few trees
- Shoal: shallow water; large group of fish
- Talia: A Hebrew name that means "dew from heaven"; Tali is also a cute shortened nickname version.
The Beauty of Mother Earth
If you are an avid fan of spending time in the natural world, and I assume you are since you want to give your child a name associated with the wilderness, then the video above will be a joy to watch. Beautiful scenes set to beautiful music may not get you excited, but once you start watching stuff like this, and you have the time, most people will watch it to the end. Enjoy.
Names From Nature
© 2019 Don
Any Thoughts About Nature or Name Suggestions?
Don (author) from Tennessee on July 13, 2020:
I met a woman last week with a beautiful name... Cassia. Just an amazing first name in my opinion.
C on July 12, 2020:
Looking fo a unique girl name start with a C
Don (author) from Tennessee on February 01, 2020:
I wonder if "Barbie" could be used for a good last name? Hmmm... sounds pretty good, actually.
hi on January 30, 2020:
Barbie's dream house so many things so much to dooooooooooo