Nursery School Admission Interview Questions
Nursery school and preschool admissions can be a nerve-wracking experience for both you and your child. There are ways to prepare yourself and your child to make the process go smoothly. By thinking ahead to the kinds of questions your child will have to answer and talking with your child, you will alleviate your own fears and make the experience less scary for your little one.
Keep in mind that the interview itself is a learning experience for your child. Few children will have been through one before, so it is worthwhile discussing what an interview is beforehand. Avoid the word "interview" and refer to the meeting as a "visit" to see whether the school is the best one for your child.
Preschool interviews are most often designed to help school staff assess a few key developmental milestones, including the child's ability to:
- answer questions
- follow simple instructions
- answer questions, even ones that may be open-ended or a bit difficult
- recognize letters, numbers, and shapes
- solve simple problems
How can you prepare your young child to do well during an interview? We have prepared some recommendations for how to help boost your child's confidence and some typical questions your child may hear.
Example Preschool and Nursery School Interview Questions
Some preschools emphasize academic knowledge and others stress social skills. Find out as much as you can about the schools where your child will interview so they are well prepared for the experience.
Help your child by asking him or her open-ended questions, like these which are typical of many preschool interviews.
- Can you tell me what shape this is?
- Who is your favorite cartoon hero?
- When is your birthday?
- Do you have a sister or brother?
- Can you tell me what color this is?
- Which is your favorite poem or nursery rhyme?
- Which is your favorite story?
- What do you want to become when you grow up?
- What do you like to eat?
- Which animals do you like?
- Do you have any pets at home?
- If so, how do you care for your pet?
- Can you tell me which animal this is?
- Can you tell me which bird this is?
Getting Ready to Interview for Preschool
Help your child prepare for preschool and for the preschool interview by encouraging them to use letter, number, color, and shape names when describing an event. Be gentle with them, but remind them that preschool will be a time when they will have to follow instructions.
Read More From Wehavekids
Children who show natural curiosity, who remain calm even in a noisy environment, and who communicate well are very likely to do well during preschool interviews.
Talk with your child about these questions, which may come up during the interview:
- Can you tell me which flower this is?
- Who is this? (pictures of professions)
- Can you tell me which means of transport this is?
- Can you recite your favorite poem or nursery rhyme?
- Can you count from 10 to 20 for me?
While it may be tempting to chime in during your child's interview to coax answers out of them, avoid getting involved. Sometimes it is better for parents to sit back and let their children speak for themselves.
AHMED on July 22, 2020:
satya on February 18, 2019:
Erum yousuf on April 30, 2017:
I'm running a coaching centre at bufferzone Karachi .I want to start preparation classes at my place, can someone help me for syllabus designing n interviews preparation.
kirti on March 03, 2015:
Can you tell about your eating habits?