30 Home and Family Quotes From Church Leaders and Celebrities
Here are thirty quotes that will help establish and foster healthy attitudes toward your most valuable treasures—home and family, which in the words of Rabbi Simon Jacobson, are "the center of your life, the hub from which all your daily experiences extend."
These quotes are from two other reputable sources: church leaders and celebrities.
Home and family . . . the center of your life.
From Ellen White (1827-1915)
prolific Christian writer on the topic of home and family
"Training ... will make him happier and more useful." - Ellen White
- The family tie is the closest, the most tender and sacred, of any on earth. It was designed to be a blessing to mankind.
- Around every family there is a sacred circle ... Let not the husband or the wife permit another to share the confidences that belong solely to themselves.
- Gentle manners, cheerful conversation, and loving acts will bind the hearts of children to their parents ... and will do more to make home attractive than the rarest ornaments that can be bought for gold.
- The king upon his throne has no higher work than has the mother... Her work is for time and for eternity.
- Fathers ... give some of your leisure hours to your children; become acquainted with them; associate with them in their work and in their sports, and win their confidence.
- Though difficulties, perplexities, and discouragements may arise, let neither husband nor wife harbor the thought that their union is a mistake or a disappointment... Continue the early attentions.
- Let girls be taught that the art of dressing well includes the ability to make their own clothing. This is an ambition that every girl should cherish.
- To make a bed and put a room in order, to wash dishes, to prepare a meal, to wash and repair his own clothing, is a training that need not make any boy less manly; it will make him happier and more useful.
- Home should be made all that the word implies. It should be a little heaven upon earth, a place where the affections are cultivated ... Our happiness depends upon this cultivation of love, sympathy, and true courtesy to one another.
- One well-ordered, well-disciplined family tells more in behalf of Christianity than all the sermons that can be preached.
From Other Church Leaders
past and present
"Make the husband glad to come home." Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. - Henry Ward Beecher
- The process of shaping the child, shapes also the mother herself. Reverence for her sacred burden calls her to all that is pure and good, that she may teach primarily by her own humble, daily example. - Elisabeth Elliott
- What will your children remember? We can change the world inside our own houses. Take the gift of this moment and make something beautiful of it... Memories are made on purpose. - Gloria Gaither
- Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love. - Billy Graham
- A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone. - Billy Graham
- What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. - Martin Luther
- Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- So often today, instead of investing in our children and giving them the attention they need, we give them activities... But if we're not careful, we will substitute activity for attention. - Joel Osteen.
- What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. - Mother Theresa
- You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them. - Desmond Tutu
who demonstrate respect for home and family
"My mother's love ... reflected in my daughters." Michelle Obama
- Marriage is not a contract. It’s a covenant. It’s sacred. It’s an absolute, all-out commitment for life. - Kirk Cameron
- Sex within marriage is the only kind that’s truly fun and exciting — the kind that lasts for a lifetime. I’m glad I waited. - Kirk Cameron
- My mother was a Sunday school teacher. So I am a byproduct of prayer. My mom just kept on praying for her son. - Steve Harvey
- I'm a stand-up comedian two hours a week. The rest of the time, I'm somebody's husband, I'm somebody's father. I'm a man. I take great pride in that. - Steve Harvey
- A mother is only as happy as her saddest child. - Dr. Phil McGraw
- My mother's love has always been a sustaining force for our family, and one of my greatest joys is seeing her integrity, her compassion, her intelligence reflected in my daughters. - Michelle Obama
- I had a lot of guilt as a single mother trying to raise a child. I had to go to work... You have to give yourself permission to let go of the guilt. - Sherri Shepherd
- You may be a go-getter in life, but when you come home, you have to check that ego at the door, because it doesn’t fly in God’s house. - Courtney B. Vance
- A wise woman knows the importance of speaking life into her man. If you love him; believe in him, encourage him and be his peace. - Denzel Washington
- My ultimate life dream project is my kids. My family.- Denzel Washington
Positive Home and Family Facts for Consideration
Fathers’ involvement in their children’s lives contributes to higher academic performance and a decreased likelihood of anti-social behavior.
Children who tended to score higher on reading and math achievement tests reported that their mothers knew their whereabouts when they were not home.
Adolescents who spent more mealtime with both parents together reported, on average, feeling more cheerful, less angry, and less stressed.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Dora Weithers