40 Simple Ways to Show Love and Respect to Your Parents
Parents crave love and deserve respect just as much as any other human being on earth. But being the big-hearted people they are, they'll never tell you that. Parents don't want to upset their children. The idea of making demands often comes with the thought of rejections.
How often do we tell our parents we love them? How often do we show them our love?
If we have time to build a family and look after children, then we have enough time to get along with our parents. After all, what parents need is often a cup of coffee together.
There are whole lots of ways to express love to your friends and spouse. But, how do you express your love to parents?
The answer is simple, we express our love to parents by respecting and honoring them. You see the parents who are most happy with their children are those who are honored and valued.
When we talk about parents, love and respect are the same words, the same verbs! I can't see how you can show respect to someone but not love them or how love can be expressed without respect.
Here are some simple ways of showing love to parents.
1. Stay away from phones or business stuff in their presence.
You hate it when your friends are constantly on phone while you are with them, don't you? I am sure if you do not take a call in front of your professor or boss, you can consider avoiding that in front of parents too.
2. While they speak listen with attention and show your presence in the conversation.
3. Ask them for advice.
Asking for advice is a best way of showing people that you count on them. Your parents will love to be involved in your decision. Ask their opinion, even if you cannot go with it for the good of your business or family, knowing the opinion will not harm you.
4. Look up to them.
Try to see things from their perspective and understand where they are coming from.
5. Do your parents credit.
Winning a competition or succeeding with a project, people start from nothing. Parents teach us things life cannot and one way to show you are grateful is by doing them credit. Let them feel proud of raising you a successful individual.
6. Have a good news? Achievements? Share with them.
No one else can share the same amount of happiness as you, but your parents. And sometimes you'll see they are happier than you.
7. Do not share bad events.
8. Respect friends of your parents, meet them, invite them for dinner.
Always talk good about friends of your parents. Like how you didn't like it when your parents talked bad about your friends when you were kid (or you still don't like it), it's the same with parents.
9. Remember the good they did for you and all that they still do. This will keep your heart warm towards them.
10. Listen to things they repeat as if you are listening them for the first time.
As people get older they often forget things and repeat stories they like. If your parents have to tell you same old stories with same enthusiasm, listen to them with the same enthusiasm.
A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone.— Billy Graham
11. Avoid arrogant behaviour and haughty gestures.
12. Do not disagree with their thoughts and opinions.
13. Avoid talking about different subject in between an ongoing conversation. Nothing is as important as their words. Sometimes it gets too late when we want to hear words from them, their voice, any thing even it is meaningless.. but memory is all that remains.
14. Never complain. You did not have an education like your friend? Even if you were raised on two pants know that your dad lived on one. What they offered you is all what they had.
15. Do not tell off your kids in their presence. That is disrespectful. Like how you don't do that in the presence of your boss.
16. Follow their advice and orders, be obedient as much as possible. They deserve it.
17. If you have them to go to, only look for their advice and opinions.
18. Do not raise your tone more than their's.
19. While walking along do not rush nor move ahead of them.
20. Do not start eating before they're served.
Parents need their children as much as children need their parents.
— Paul Carvel
21. When your father thinks he is incapable of doing something remind him how much of a superhero he was and is to you.
22. Do not talk to your parents offensively.
23. Always remember them in your prayers.
24. Do not show yourself as tired or bored in their presence. Moments with parents are the most precious.
25. Do not laugh at their mistakes. They might not even be aware of it. This is a general thing that happens to everyone with age, love them the way they are.
26. Call them with lovely names and whatever they'd love to be called.
27. Let them be your first priority as you were their's once or still are.
28. Get them useful and memorable gifts, may be a book or a pill organiser.
29. Go on a drive. Yes, a long drive with your father who always took you on long drives when you were a kid.
30. Offer to cook their favourite food or make a cup of coffee.
When my father didn't have my hand, he had my back.— Arab saying
31. If they look lonely strike up a conversation they would like, may be about memories they want to share.
32. Help them organize donations or take them to nursing homes.
33. If they ever say you that they miss their friends, get on a mission of reuniting them.
34. Write "missing you" notes and long letters. These letters mean golds and diamonds to them.
35. If you have kids let them play with their grandparents. Ask them to spend time with your parents.
36. Give them hugs and kisses.
37. Tell them often that you love them.
38. Spend time together.
39. Don't talk about unfortunate things that passed. Bringing up bad days will only make you sad on your good days.
40. Tell your kids how you were nurtured and loved as a kid.
It is so saddening to see how everywhere there are suggestions for parents to teach their children respect and values. Parents alone cannot teach children things. Yes, it is first parents' responsibility but at the end of the day surroundings come into play. Social media which can make terrible memes go viral and people who modernize arrogance are more responsible for any behaviour we see among children. No parents would like to see their once cute and kind child become arrogant.
Though it is impossible, let us love parents more than they loved us.
Questions & Answers
How do I respect my parents?
Well, the article "40 simple ways to show respect to parents" answers your question in a detailed manner. If you have not read the article check it on my profile page articles listing. Or you are asking the question because you feel it difficult to follow keep in mind that you have to respect them at least the way you do to your boss or professor or maybe that cool uncle around neighbors, only with a little patience and much love. To add to it, I say respect them the way you would want your children to respect you. Follow the tips in the article and more from what your heart says and keep doing it until you make it a habit.
I know it could be awkward just to start doing things like kissing their forehead when you have been away for a long time. But, it will feel natural if you keep doing it for some time.Helpful 14
How can you say the truth when you're guilty?
I do not know what you are guilty of and how intense your guilt is. I assume it is something you are afraid to tell your parents. But, if the truth will come out sometime anyway it is better to tell it by yourself. Be honest about everything and show how bad you feel for being guilty. Show how much you regret and ask them for their opinion about what can be done to make things right. Promise yourself and promise your parents that you will not repeat the mistake in future, neither will you hide things from them. You want them to trust on you again and you can do this only and only by telling the truth. Don't worry even if it is the dirtiest/worst possible mistake because when they do not know the whole truth, it is possible that they could be assuming something worst already. So be honest to yourself and to them, tell them the truth, express your guilt, promise that you wont repeat the mistake, and never hide things again.Helpful 8
How can I have a better relationship with my parents?
Show love and respect and obey them as much as possible. Some 20 years ago or so, parents used to be so stubborn about their principles that it was very difficult to obey them, but these days most parents are sensible in what they expect from us. Even if you differ from their opinions, you can still talk to them.
In a few words I would say:
1. Believe that everything they do is for you, no one else in the world loves you as much as them, no one else would want the best for you more than them.
2. The only barrier you have in helping your relationship get better with your parents is YOU. Now that you have decided to get along with them better, nothing else is in your way. Know that at any time in your life, regardless of what has happened in the past, your parents have their arms open for you. Trust me! Even more than you, your parents long to have a good relationship with you.
3. Express love and respect. I have mentioned some simple ways to express love to parents on a regular basis in my article. Do not feel shy to do all these little things out of the blue. In the beginning, it may look weird or fake or whatever but you know what, no one cares. As long as your goal is sincere, you are doing the best thing anybody can do on the earth. God loves you for this and may He help you always.
Please be true to yourself and do not EVER give up on this precious thought.Helpful 12
© 2018 Sherry Haynes