Spiritual Signs of Pregnancy in Dreams, From God, or From the Universe
Wondering whether you are or will become pregnant? Curious about your baby's gender? Worried about potential complications with childbirth or raising a child? Many mothers have found clues about their pregnancy from seemingly small occurrences in life and even in dreams. These may be God/a higher power/the universe/your intuition trying to send you a message through the things you see, hear, and feel in your day-to-day life.
In this article, I'll talk about spiritual signs of pregnancy and what they may look like, discuss pregnancy signs in dreams, and offer tips for being more aware of these signs.
A Series of 'Coincidences' Can Actually Be the Universe Trying to Tell You Something
Waking dreams is a term that is often used to describe a series of "coincidences" that have spiritual meaning and really aren't coincidences at all! Waking dreams are God's (or the Universe's) way of getting a message through to you.
(Spiritual) Signs About Pregnancy
Pregnancy seems to be a time of heightened spiritual awareness for some women. During pregnancy—and sometimes even during the months leading up to a pregnancy—some women notice signs in their dreams or in their daily lives that seem to inform them of their pregnancy. These signs can sometimes help women view life experiences in a different way. They may answer questions like, will I be pregnant? Am I pregnant? What gender is the baby? Am I ready? Will there be difficulties with the birth?
These signs or symbols can be confusing. Although some women may rely on their intuition or self-awareness to understand these messages, others may not know what to make of them. Are they really signs? From God? From the universe? Am I reading too much into them? Has my imagination just gone wild? Have others experienced similar things?
The answer to the last question is yes. During my time helping women understand these pregnancy signs, I've spoken to many women who have noticed pregnancy signs. Signs like these happen all the time, yet unless we are aware of the possibility, we may completely overlook them.
Have you noticed any spiritual signs related to your pregnancy or pregnancies?
What Do Pregnancy Signs Look Like?
You'll know it's a sign if it makes you stop and think. "That's odd! Was it trying to tell me something? Does this experience have a special meaning for me?" Even if it would otherwise carry no significance, in that moment, it seemed very significant to you. It may carry an entirely different meaning than what was intended.
Spiritual Signs in Everyday Life
The signs come in many forms. It could be something someone said—either directly to you or just in passing. Maybe you overheard someone talking in another conversation. Maybe it's something you heard on the radio or on TV (e.g., "You're Having My Baby" comes on the radio). It could be something you read in a magazine, book, newspaper, or online. It could be an event in your everyday life—something that was unusual or struck you as out of the ordinary (e.g., seeing a stork at a pond in an area where storks don't commonly live).
Signs in Dreams That You Are Pregnant
Dreams are thought to be your brain's way of processing information and attempting to solve problems in your life. During pregnancy, many women experience more vivid dreams, likely because of the physiological changes and hormonal fluctuations taking place.
Common signs about pregnancy in dreams include:
- Giving birth to an animal: This may be your brain going through the motions of giving birth as "practice." In an article on Parents.com, Dr. Veronica Tonay states that as your pregnancy progresses, the animals may even grow older and develop more human qualities. The type of animal may also give you subtle clues about your feelings toward the pregnancy. In an article on TodaysParent.com, psychotherapist Jennifer Suurland says dreams of birthing cuddly animals may suggest your excitement for a new baby, while unsettling dreams may suggest you have some anxiety about having a new baby.
- Teeth falling out: Dreaming that your teeth are falling out usually symbolizes an insecurity or lack of control or power. During pregnancy, it may mean that you don't feel ready to welcome a new child, or you may not feel like you have much control over your life anymore.
- Swimming: Whether it's in an ocean, lake, or pool, dreaming that you're swimming, especially when it's with your baby, may symbolize your desire to connect with your unborn child.
- Drowning: Drowning in a dream may indicate that you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed about the pregnancy.
- Forgetting your baby, or your baby gets hurt: Similar to dreams of drowning, your brain may be trying to process the feelings you have—for instance, anxiety about being a new parent—to help you prepare for the next stage. It's preparing for the worst, but you should hope for the best!
- Seeing a baby boy or baby girl: Your dream may be detailed enough for you to make out the gender of your baby. If you see a boy, you'll likely have a boy. If you see a girl, you'll likely have a girl. However, in some cases, it may not be so straightforward.
How to Be More Aware of These Signs
Listen to Your Instincts
For spiritual signs to be of any use to us, we must notice them. Sometimes, a single sign will stand out and seem so unusual or out of place that I instantly notice. Other times, I'll just get a feeling inside telling me that I should take notice because this experience is significant.
Look for Repeating Signs
Some signs are overlooked because they just blend right in with life. However, if I notice that something keeps popping up over a short period of time, it may be a significant sign.
The signs may not all be the same. Let's say you are going on vacation and have been making a lot of purchases over the past few days. As you are standing in line at a store, you overhear someone talking about losing their wallet. A few minutes later, you overhear someone else talking about needing to deposit money in the bank. Then, when you get to the cashier, you have to stand and wait while she trades in some $20s for $1s.
Perhaps none of these events by themselves would have meant anything to you, but because they all happened over a very short period of time, they might have made you take notice. Perhaps, together, these events were telling you that you needed to curtail your spending a bit!
This idea, which I have seen several times at work in my own life, says that a series of physical "coincidences" can actually be messages from Spirit to guide you into greater understanding or lead you from harm. The idea is phenomenal. It requires you to understand that there really is no separation between the physical and the spiritual. When you realize this, you can begin to see Spirit at work through everyday events!— Jason Bedunah
Actively Seek a Sign
Do you have a question about your pregnancy, your baby, or the adventure of motherhood? Maybe you wonder if your baby will be healthy. Or perhaps you've been trying to get pregnant for a long time and wonder if you ever will. Whatever your question may be, why not ask it—either in your head or in your journal?
At the same time, ask to see a certain symbol to indicate an answer to your question. Pick something as your symbol that you don't see often. It doesn't necessarily have to be related in meaning to your question, but it can. Pick any symbol at all, and assign to it a special meaning of your own.
For example, you could ask to see a bird's nest full of eggs as a sign that you are pregnant. But don't suddenly go searching outside among the trees! Relax. If it's meant to be, the symbol will come to you. Maybe while you're casually reading the newspaper one morning, you'll come across a picture of a nest of eggs. Or maybe your husband (with whom you haven't shared this symbol) will point out a bird's nest he noticed in the shrubs in front of your house.
Did a spiritual sign let you know you were pregnant?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2008 JanieceTobey