Thys hasn't tried every single idea on this list, but hopes to before the summer is over!
Summer has arrived, school is out, and the sun's hot and shining. You're a teenager and you've got tons of spare time, but you just don't know what to do with it. Summer can be a fun time, but it get boring when you run out of ideas.
Here are 100 things for teens to do over summer break. These ideas are fun, for indoors and out, mostly cheap, and will help you get the most out of summer. These ideas are in no particular order and include a variety of activities whatever the weather. They're not just for teens either. Parents, younger children, and the anyone young-at-heart who is looking for some summer fun can enjoy this list.
Have fun and stay safe!
Top 20 Most Fun Summer Activities for Bored Teenagers
- Watch a classic old movie (like Sunset Boulevard or Rebel Without a Cause).
- Go to a thrift store or garage sale and find something oddly fabulous for your wardrobe or room.
- Stargaze from on the roof, or pull your mattress out into the yard.
- Invent a new type of sandwich (peanut butter and salami?).
- Make a zine and put copies in all your friends' mailboxes.
- Learn to cook something complicated, like macaroons or baked Alaska.
- Have a yard sale and sell your junk. ($$$!)
- Make a new playlist of the best tunes for your summertime soundtrack.
- Teach yourself some new dance moves (learn to moonwalk and pirouette).
- Take up the ukulele (or some other instrument).
- Do something kind for someone—a neighbor, a family member, or a complete stranger.
- Get arty and draw, paint, or collage a portrait.
- Act like a tourist and visit the top attractions in your town.
- Climb a tree.
- Write and produce a film or play with your friends.
- Have a scream-a-thon (have a sleepover with friends and watch scary movies!).
- Re-create a childhood photo (you're a lot bigger now).
- Go on a photo safari.
- Clean your room (just kidding!).
- Make your own list of things to do when you're bored (with better ideas!).
Things for Teens to Do Outside During Summer
- Try out a new sport (frisbee golf, bocce ball, kanjam).
- Make and fly a kite.
- Play crazy golf.
- Relax in a hammock.
- Plant some vegetable seeds.
- Jump in the pool with your clothes on.
- Swim at your local public pool.
- Camp out in the garden.
- Go roller-blading.
- Have a picnic in the park.
- Go fishing.
- Go on a scavenger hunt.
- Construct a tire swing.
- Have a day at the beach (build sandcastles, paddle, beachcomb etc.).
- Run through sprinklers!
- Have a picnic or a BBQ.
- Bury a time capsule to dig up in five years.
- Organise a tug-of-war.
- Have a bonfire and roast marshmallows or make s'mores.
- Build an obstacle course.
Fun Indoor Activities for Teenagers
- Move the furniture around in your room to give it a fresh, new look.
- Re-do your room with craft projects.
- Handwrite letters to friends and family.
- Make a collage for your wall.
- Experiment with origami.
- Go to a museum.
- Learn a new language.
- Start a journal.
- Do a 1,000 piece puzzle.
- Read a newspaper front to back.
- Make your own popsicles.
- Give your pet a bath.
- Start a blog (on Tumblr, Blogger, or Wordpress).
- Play a complete game of Monopoly.
- Make a vlog on YouTube.
- Buy some exotic fruit from the store and make a fruit salad.
- Cook a homemade pizza.
- Make a root beer float.
- Buy several flavours of ice-cream and have an ice-cream feast!
- Paint a mural on one of your bedroom walls.
- Build a fortress out of cardboard boxes (you're not too old for that).
- Go bowling.
- Try a new food you've never tasted before.
- Learn a magic trick and perform it for your friends.
- Make non-alcoholic cocktails!
Inexpensive Things for Teenagers to Do
- Watch the sun set (or rise!).
- Play card games: poker, spit, or solitaire. If you don't know how, it's time to learn!
- Organize a neighborhood cleanup.
- Volunteer at a charity, soup kitchen, shelter, or nursing home.
- Go to the library and take out some books you wouldn't usually read.
- Clean out your drawers and donate your unwanted items to a thrift store.
- Write letters (not emails, but actual pen-and-ink notes!).
- Sunbathe. But remember to use sunblock!
- Grab a map and go for a long walk to a place that you've never been.
- Move furniture around in your room to give it a fresh, new look.
- Teach yourself to do a handstand.
- Make a dance routine to your favourite song.
- Practice voice impersonations.
Things for Teenagers to Do With Friends
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Hold a mini Olympics with your friends.
- Go on a long bike ride.
- Have a garden party. Ask friends to bring different foods!
- Host a craft, beauty, dinner party, movie night with friends.
- Play rounders with your family or friends at the local park or sports-field.
- Have a clothes swap: Have all your friends bring items they no longer want and trade with each other.
- Hold a group yard sale or car wash.
- Make your own face scrub or other beauty product using ingredients from the kitchen or garden.
- Make your own slip-n-slide with plastic garbage bags.
- Have a big game of capture-the-flag.
Things a Teenager Can Do Alone
- Apply for a summer job.
- Read a book in the sun.
- Learn a few words or phrases in a foreign language.
- Get a high score on your favorite game.
- Buy a load of old magazines from a bookstore or charity shop and read them.
- Take some interesting photographs of your neighbourhood.
- Fly a kite.
- Listen to some new music.
- Start a scrapbook or journal.
- Learn a new instrument.
- Write a song, poem, or short story.
- Decorate a pinboard with postcards, pictures, and notes and hang it in your room.
- Write an online article like this one!
- Spend some time experimenting and overhauling your closet: mend, toss, alter, layer, hem, mix-n-match.
- Research your family tree.
- Paint a T-shirt with acrylic paints.
- Bake a three-tier cake.
- Give yourself a makeover—cut your hair short, try a new hairdo, or do crazy nails.
- Make some handmade soap.
- E-mail or phone a friend you haven't spoken to in a while.
- Buy some posters and put them up in your room.
- Spend a day without watching T.V or going on the computer.
- Bake some home-made bread.
- Go to a movie alone (it's not so bad!).
- Send a message in a bottle.
- Prank call a friend.
- Make a keepsake box of memories from this summer, fill it with photos, messages, postcards from places you've been, and wrap it in pretty paper. Keep it for years to come to remind you of your awesome summer!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Anonymous on July 24, 2020:
The list was helpful for me and my friend
Alpha.1#4617 on discord on July 24, 2020:
add me on discord.
15, male, trying to make friends lol
bored ash and have nothing better to do.
and no i didnt do a single thing on this list, its kinda bad ngl.
good ideas if i had money or a car and a license.
Kaughy74 on July 12, 2020:
I am a teen and all of my summer breaks were the same so far so i thought of looking for some ideas and these are very good ( I am 17)
Roblox Fan #2 on June 24, 2020:
I also like roblox, but spending a day without electronics would be interesting, please friend me on roblox, Flamingo_Bird123
cupcakes on June 23, 2020:
This was very useful for making a summer bucket list thank you!
roblox fan on June 22, 2020:
how about we just play roblox oh and this is an invitation for you guys o join me on viking simulator on roblox my name is bossravie7 oh and my password is 1234567890 (just kidding)
Sophia on June 20, 2020:
Very fun things!
theater kid on June 17, 2020:
"read a book in the sun"
in other words, bake broil and burn in the 100 degree heat of texas summer
tylermosesyt on instagram on June 12, 2020:
these are somewhat helpful being a 14 year old male during quarantine #quarantine-life
i had to have my birthday during quarintine
breje on June 08, 2020:
i just did my work
meep on June 04, 2020:
dqueen72420 on May 24, 2020:
i just smoke w my friends ..
bandito on May 23, 2020:
this is one of the only lists i've found with actually good ideas
A person u will never know on May 22, 2020:
When ur not even a teen yet-
flawlessk30 on May 13, 2020:
^^add me on snap
joe mama on May 12, 2020:
i thinks its good.
Yolanda on May 06, 2020:
We love to take cool pictures on the beach you should try searching some that you like
Somebody that’s not 40 on April 26, 2020:
What teenagers would enjoy most of this there were so few things I would be able to get my friends to do or would care enough to do it.
Nora bentley on April 08, 2020:
Mabe you can read in a hammock✌
Sophia Pergola on April 05, 2020:
I love these ideas
juan on March 30, 2020:
these things are helpful
Official Princessssss on March 25, 2020:
im still eleven but these things are helpful
Daniel Dossantos on March 23, 2020:
I am still in middle school and my principal told us that we have to do this i am so confused
4806013315 name:shahd saleh on March 23, 2020:
I learn many thinks and I will do some of them thank you for tell my that thinks
abdel karim on March 23, 2020:
that was cool
Lord Chunkyness on March 22, 2020:
this was useful and helpful.
4806013315 name :shahd saleh on March 22, 2020:
for my It's cool if the people do that thinks and I do many of them like sit with the family and do chaling with the family so yes everyone can do that thinks It's fun
abdel karim on March 22, 2020:
it is so nice if you want to do something in the summer you just take this think and do it.
abdel karim on March 21, 2020:
i gon be do so much think with my friend and my family and so much think is so funny thank you because you give me so idea.
Siofradh on March 19, 2020:
Wow, very impressed and will do most of these
Ahlayna on March 18, 2020:
i definitely gong to do something like this
Lord Voldemort on March 09, 2020:
These ideas were great I used to do them when I was in the orphanage
Heyyyyyy on March 09, 2020:
This is very helpful!They all sound so fun and will get me active this Summer instead of going on TikTok.
Ciara Anne on February 15, 2020:
Coming from a teen, this was full of great ideas! Keep up the good work!
ice cream dragon on November 12, 2019:
the ideas are good... well they seem so anyhoo. not that i've tried them or anything. wish that they were based more on teens tho
user5493559463 on September 17, 2019:
I wish they were more based on teens...…. but its ok I guess
Umaiza on September 02, 2019:
There could be better ideas but after all these were helpful.
cj on August 15, 2019:
Sarah on August 05, 2019:
omg thanks for the great things to do I will have to do some before summer ends hope everyone else's summer is going good :)
Kareema on July 31, 2019:
gussie on July 28, 2019:
my fav one is "buy fruit"
Amelia on July 26, 2019:
This was really good and helpful lots of fun thanks. xx
just being honest! on July 24, 2019:
Some ideas were very helpful! hey sometimes even led up to bigger ideas. This was more of a tween blog, but still helpful! have a great day.:)
14 year old on July 23, 2019:
I found NOTHING
Memes on July 23, 2019:
Well I have no friends no games and my neighborhood is so boring hmmm
girltryingtomakelifeuseful on July 18, 2019:
yawn, any other ideas?
What the heck on July 18, 2019:
How can i flit a kite at summer and i dont have friends thay all live not next to me.
Ehhs on July 18, 2019:
Tilly on July 16, 2019:
its alright,, not the best website i've seen but its alright
i wish that it had more points aimed towards teens
Chucky on July 15, 2019:
Bro who the frick even has a garden. You're either old or a vegan which are both awful. :)
ish on July 13, 2019:
I wish this was more appealing... more fit for a teen, but I guess it's ok... some ideas are good...
no on July 06, 2019:
:) thx for the help! XD
teen1 on June 26, 2019:
this is great ig guess but these are the usual things a normal person wold do so
Janice mccummlejerner on June 24, 2019:
This was very helpful .. BUT l have 0 friends 0 family members near me 0 money and 0 fun stuff around...
connie con-con the conquerer on June 23, 2019:
Unfortunately living on a pig farm results in smelling like a pig which is very unusual. This results in me having no friends and having to finger my cat, so I can't do any of this stuff! It is also quite hard for pigs to do things like this, I would love for any suggestions on things to do with my gorgeous darling piggy winkles. thank you.
Yours sincerely connie con-con the conquer the first
poopoo doodoo head on June 22, 2019:
i wish i had friends, and money, and a neighbour hood without everybody being old....
whatever on June 21, 2019:
teennnnn is right. for those who have money to burn and actual friends, this is a great idea. for people who are actually bored this is useless
teennnnn on June 19, 2019:
this article would really fun to do if I had friends or had some money to spare
POLICE'S KID on June 18, 2019:
THIS WAS SUPER FUN, AND ON TOP OF THAT, I MADE NEW FRIENDS IN THE PROCESS. I WILL DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS TO OTHER PEOPLE.
I'm a teen on June 17, 2019:
These would be fun if I actually had friends to do this with. :(
Shilow Star on June 15, 2019:
Uhh Who ever goes by the username 'teenager' Uhh this stuff is actually really fun if you do it with friends~ Anything is fun with friends~
teenager on June 15, 2019:
bruh this is boring
An actual teen on June 14, 2019:
The problem is that none of these appeal to a teen.
Id reccomend asking teens for activities that teens like to do. A random 40 year old does not know what a 14 year old likes.
None of these stand out for teens. It is really just 100 things listed.
Teen on June 12, 2019:
Thanks some of these are pretty cool
Helped because I am SOOOO BORED
Tristan on June 12, 2019:
This would be a good a idea for teen's.
alexis on June 11, 2019:
dis helped a lot tanks
13 yr old on June 11, 2019:
I actually found a lot of things to do on here plus things I’ve made up
Teen like all the others on June 04, 2019:
Most teenagers would do this stuff but are scared cause of some friends, so I glad you did this!
Journalist for School on June 02, 2019:
I am going to write an article about these....hopefully kids will take it into consideration instead of playing video games 24/7! love these ideas!!!!!
tween on June 01, 2019:
i like it but wish there were more
a moody teen like the rest on May 31, 2019:
Heidi on May 30, 2019:
I love your reminders i chose 25or more thing to do can you please make more things to do for this summer please oh oh oh oh oh oh
your mom on May 29, 2019:
I'm bored so I looked at this... Honestly I'm still bored but it helped XD
Candy Haron on May 23, 2019:
Bord out of meh mind
Vic on May 07, 2019:
name on April 29, 2019:
these are awesome ideas
Becca on April 19, 2019:
anonymous on April 18, 2019:
these are really cute ideas !
Emily on April 08, 2019:
I'm doing two summer camps this year and there's a HUGE gap in between, thanks for giving me some ideas to fill my time!
kennedy on April 07, 2019:
these are such good ideas that I'm so doing with friends over the summer!!!!
No one on February 15, 2019:
99% of these people on here are parents that told there kids to find something to do other than video games
Cecelia on December 30, 2018:
I got a few from this page but it was good because I can never find anything good to do.
Tonya on October 26, 2018:
Run a scout troop learnt safty and show 6 diffrent guns was awsom
Ian on August 31, 2018:
Wow! I loved so much, I'm so upset I only have 2 more weeks until work starts. I wish I could do it all!
Ruby on August 13, 2018:
Didn’t find anything
Jamie on August 13, 2018:
I don't understand why any teenager would ever want to do any of these things like who has a water balloon fight at the age of 14.
Mary on August 10, 2018:
We can not go out very easy so we can not do some ideas
anomwus on August 09, 2018:
this is good stuff
your best dream and worst nightmare on July 27, 2018:
All of these are white
Marc on July 27, 2018:
Most of these I can’t do in my area
Maria on July 25, 2018:
I don’t have friends
Sophie on July 23, 2018:
The ideas are so so some are good but I couldn’t find anything that made me really want to go outside and do it. But I got some ideas for future days.
sam on July 23, 2018:
im a teenager who unlike 90% of others don't stay inside all day playing fortnite. i want to go outside and do something. these are awful, we are talking about teenagers not 8 year olds.
Siena on July 23, 2018:
Some are good I guess..
Amanda on July 22, 2018:
these ideas suck but the comments make up for it
Arianna on July 17, 2018:
I can’t even do any of these
ben on July 14, 2018:
what if i dint have friends
Fuljidah. on July 12, 2018:
This are really great ideas,I am literally gonna try half of this.Thanks man.
Lebron James lll on July 10, 2018:
I rather wreck everyone ik in basketball or FaceTime lavar ball. Or actually do something with my life and not have my client review this horrible website
Jack on July 08, 2018:
Thanks I will do these