Teaching Girls Social Skills for Positive Self-Image
Teaching the Importance of Positive Self-Image by Making a Good Impression
In our American society, the media appears to give more attention to bad behavior than to basic decency. The images portrayed by young women are shocking, scary, and mostly, just sad. The prevalence of reality television has skyrocketed with the larger percentage of images being that of women and young girls behaving badly. Over the last few years alone, social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat have influenced definitions of beauty, self-image and style.
The emphasis is put on what's most entertaining, salacious, and marketable. Unfortunately, we are falling short of our responsibility to teach young girls the behaviors and values that are acceptable and appropriate in the real world.
They are not aware of the term " first impression" and how your reputation is the most valuable asset you possess, leading you to success with dignity. In the long run, it pays to embody grace, poise, and class in speech, style, demeanor and overall presentation.
Five Social Skill Areas to Enhance Success and Build Positive Self-Images in Girls
Outlined below are five areas to consider when teaching young girls how to carry themselves in a more acceptable, dignified manner:
- Know your audience and your environment; strike a balance between your unique style, your setting, and what's acceptable at that moment.
- Be aware of what's tasteful and appropriate; sex appeal can be successfully accomplished without excessive exposure of skin.
- Avoid loud fashion trends; understated style with a unique flair creates a more polished, mature presentation in the real world.
- Smile, even if you're not in the best mood; a smile is inviting and connotes a good-spirited person.
- Monitor your attitude; maintain a positive outlook avoiding negative talk, complaining, gossip, and heated arguments.
- Watch your voice volume; speak naturally with a tone and pitch that is pleasing to the ear.
- Renew a spiritual connection through meditation, faith, prayer, volunteer work or religious affiliation.
- Regardless of your language or culture, learn proper grammar and strive to speak with eloquence.
- Speak clearly, using proper diction and pronunciation.
- Be polite; use proper etiquette by always saying, "please," "thank you," "no thank you," etc.
- Avoid using foul language and curse words.
4. Physical Appearance and Health
- Watch your posture; sit up straight with head held high; walk with back straight, long neck, head up and stomach muscles firmly tucked in.
- Exercise, eat healthfully, and maintain good hygiene, treating your body as a sacred temple.
- Enhance your hair, skin, and nails with good cleansing and conditioning products; use quality make-up as minimally as possible; less is more; natural beauty is timeless and more attractive.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol and drugs; using substances affects good judgment and ability to make the best choices while under the influence; some behaviors and decisions you make cannot be reversed after the fact.
- Stay in school, get a degree, or learn a trade; a smart and poised woman is educated and has something to back her up besides her pretty face.
- Increase your knowledge about trends and happenings; a smart and poised woman is articulate and knows how to hold a conversation.
- Have a skill or hobby that gives you the ability to show that you can create something; a smart and poised woman is resourceful and productive.
- Identify good examples of who and what you aspire to become; a smart woman is poised to honor and follow in the footsteps of the great ones who came before her.
Teaching our young girls to embody style and grace through proper etiquette is our responsibility as parents, teachers and leaders in our communities.
Instilling the points from the five areas above can hopefully adjust their perceptions of what is considered good and bad images around them.
Keep the lines of communication open with your girls about creating a good self-image. Teach her the importance of preserving a good reputation as a lady who is mapping out the success of her future with every impression she makes.
Causes of Poor Self-image in Girls
What is the biggest negative influence hindering a girl from having good self-esteem and self-image?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Janis Leslie Evans