Tips for Attending a Sleepover While on Your Period
Why Does My Period Come Every Time I Want To Have Fun?
You can have a wonderful sleepover experience even on your period.
Remember, most healthy young female to middle-aged-women experiences a monthly cycle. You are not alone. You will not be the only girl on the planet going to a sleepover with her period. The probability of other females having their period and attending a sleep over on the same day you do is high. In fact, close female friends and sisters usually have a matching menstrual cycles. There may very well be other females at the sleep over you are attending who also have their period. Knowing you are not alone helps with feeling bumped about having to deal with this.
Here are some tips that will help you focus on the fun and less on your cycle.
What to Pack When Attending a Sleepover During Your Period
Attending a sleepover with your period will go more smoothly if you prepare. Pack the right stuff and your sleepover will go more smoothly. It is important to take care of yourself during your period. Here are some ideas on what to pack.
- Dark Clothes, Dark Pajamas- This is not the time to bring your cute pale pink pajamas. Instead pack dark clothes. The reason being, if you have a stain the darker clothes make it harder to notice. Lighter clothes will show stains easier.
- Pack Extra Clothes- If you do have a stain you will want to change out of your clothes into something else. Make sure you pack extra dark clothes.
- Pack Extra Underware- Extra underwear is always a good item to pack no matter what time of the month it is. It is even more important if you have your period. Have an extra pair of underwear will allow you to change if you need to.
- Pack Pads and Tampons- If you are comfortable using both, pack enough pads and tampons to get you through the sleepover. You might want to pack more than what you think you will need, just in case.
- Pack an Overnight Pad- Ok, no women likes to wear these. They feel like wearing a big diaper. However, they get the job done. An overnight pad can allow you to sleep soundly, without worrying about staining your pajamas or worse your friends sheets.
- Ibuprofen- If you have permission from your parents, you might want to pack Ipbrophian if you have cramps.
- Feminine Wipes- Throwing these wipes into your toiletry bag will ensure that clean feeling when you need it. If you need to freshen up down there, you can easily take care of yourself and freshen up when you go to the bathroom.
- Pack A Towel- Put the towel underneath you when you go to sleep. If there is an accident your towel can absorb the stain and not the bedding.
Tips To Take Care Of Yourself During a Sleepover on Your Period
Taking care of yourself during your period will help decrease menstrual symptoms. There are certain things you can do that will keep your period more manageable.
- Stay away from dairy products and fatty meats. During the sleepover do not go for milk, ice-cream, cheese, cheeseburgers, pizza and anything else that is dairy. These foods can cause or worsen menstrual pain and bloating. For some women dairy foods will also give them gas and diarrhea.
- Stay away from salty foods. Chips, pretzels and other salty foods will make your body retain more water and you will feel more bloated.
- Drink plentay of water. This will help flush out the water retention.
- Go ahead and eat the chocolate. There are several reasons why women crave chocolate during their period. One reason is chocolate contains magnesium and iron. Both may become deficient during menstruation.
- Shower before you go. Keep your body clean. This will ensure you do not have any odors.
- Change your pad or tampon every time you go to the bathroom or at least every 4 to 8 hours.
What if I wake up and there is a stain on my pajamas?
If you wake up and find a stain on your underpants and pajamas, make your way to the bathroom with your overnight bag. You can use feminine wipes to clean yourself. If you do not have feminine wipes use tissue paper. Do not use your hosts washcloths and towels. If you really need to, you can also jump in the shower. Most girls shower everyday, so this probably will not seem odd to others, even though you might be panicking. Make sure you check the bathroom before you leave, ensuring the toilet is flushed and cleaned off.
Put your stain clothes in a separate compartment in your bag. As soon as you get home, soak them in cold water, and put them through the washing machine.
Ok, it is worse than that, what if I wake up and I stained my host's bedding?
Take a deep breath. It's really ok. First take care of you and do the steps mentioned above. Then take the bedding off. Pull everything off that has been stained. You can take the stain bedding with you into the bathroom. Put the blood stain area under cold water. Run the cold water over the stain so it washes away. You may need to add some soap. Rub the soap in and rinse. Continue doing this until most of the stain fades away.
You are going to have to be honest with your friend and tell her, you need to put the stained sheets into her washing machine. If you do not know how to do laundry, just ask where the washing machine is and put the sheets in. Ask a grown up to assist you in starting the washing machine.
What if I have cramps so bad I can barely move while I am at the sleepover?
Tell your friend you are not feeling very well because you have your period. Find somewhere to lay down for awhile. Maybe you all can watch a movie until your cramps subside. If you have permission to take some ibuprofen go ahead and allow the medicine to help ease the cramping. Ask your friend if she has a heating pad. Adding warm heat to your abdomen helps ease the cramping.
If you are really miserable it is perfectly fine to go home. Although you might be disappointed it is better to take care of yourself in the long run. You can always do another sleepover.
What if my friends make fun of me for having my period?
If your friends laugh or make fun of you for having your period, then it shows they are immature. Remember, they are laughing at what makes them uncomfortable, menstrual cycles, not you.
You Go Girl!
Although, it can be a hassle having your period while attending a sleepover it does not mean you can not have fun. You can have a wonderful sleepover experience during your menstrual cycle.
Remember women, girls who menstruate, once gathered with each other during their menstruation cycle. They will have sleep overs in a red tent for 5 to 7 days, laughing together, cooking together, braiding each other's hair and respecting and honoring what is like to be a woman. There was a time where women empowered and nurtured each other during that 'time of the month.'
Go and attend a sleepover with your girlfriends, during your period. The red tent love and female community still resides in each and every menstruating woman. Women are meant to be together during our cycles.
Carly Sullens 2013. All Rights Reserved.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
What should I do if my friends notice I'm going to the toilet a lot during a sleepover? I don't want to tell them about my period.
Sometimes, we think people notice every little detail about us, but in reality, people do not notice how many trips you go to the bathroom. If you are using the right pad size for how heavy your flow is, you won't have to go to the bathroom all the time.
Besides, if you are healthy and drinking enough water, you should be going to the bathroom more often anyway.Helpful 24
I'm scared to go to a sleepover while I am on my period. What should I do?
Being a little scared is normal. Just pack what you need, have enough pads, and extra underwear just in case. You can even find special underwear that does not let periods leak through.Helpful 19
How many menstruation pads should I bring to a sleepover?
It depends on how heavy your flow will be during the sleepover. I think five to six pads is a good number for an overnight or day sleepover. It is better to have more than to not have enough, so over pack if you need to.Helpful 15