Why Do Teenagers Feel so Lonely?
Why Do We Feel so Alone?
Some teenagers feel alone and would like some company once in a while. Most of them would not admit that fully (that they need help) but in the end, everyone does, whether or not it's obvious. Most of the time, they are certain they can manage everything by themselves, but in reality, they can't. It is considered to be one of the most difficult phases of life.
Do you find yourself sitting alone in your room and go on social media in hopes that someone on there cares about you? In the hope that other people appreciate you for who you are? Some of your friends do, and some of them fake it. How can you know?
I guess school makes it difficult at this point. For example, in my school, everyone is snobby and only cares about physical appearances. I am not like that. Many people change their attitudes, their ways, their personality, and themselves in order to be accepted by this little strange society.
Your parents won't understand your problems even if they say they do. What you do instead is spend hours on websites like StumbleUpon, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, or Skype to find two things: the passion that you lost and the happiness that you need.
Now, I know that happiness cannot be found on the internet, but a little distraction is very useful at times, especially if you feel like crying. So you go on the internet and find that people your age are having the same issues and are dealing with them like you do. It's nice to know that you are not the only one having that particular problem. You can read about their experiences and points-of-view. You meet virtual friends that you wish were real and right beside you. But they aren't. Why can't we have long-term friends in real life? People talk behind our backs, especially the ones we thought were our friends.
I know this is kind of depressing but in a teenage world, most of it works like this. Time changes and people get meaner. They care about how thin you are and how popular you are, not how your personality is. What a sad world.
People Expect You to Be Someone You're Not
Why do I always have to look good for other people? Yet, when I do it for me, people blame me for that. They don't accept me for me. There's this famous quote that says, "We don't let change happen, because when a thing is different, we change it back to normal."
When People Let You Down
This is the most unsatisfying feeling. You really trust someone and are ready to do anything for them, but then they let you down the moment you need them. This happens to me all the time. I wonder why I am such a good friend and let other people ruin my life so easily.
Reasons Why We Feel Alone
- Family problems (most of the pain comes from here)
- No real friends (just people that pretend to be)
- No acceptance in society (as a whole or even in smaller groups like schools; who you are may not be accepted by everyone; yet, we all have rights that are unfortunately not always respected)
- Not satisfied with your life
- No one understands you.
- Not accepted for your choices (music artists/genre, fashion style, personality, etc.)
- Prejudices (some people find it fun to criticize you when they have no clue who you are, and as they do so, other people start to think negative things about you as well, and so the rumors start, and when they do, it's difficult to stop them)
- Being afraid to speak up (sharing of opinions becomes difficult, and you get trapped by your own self)
There are so many more reasons, but these are some of the more common ones.
Some Inspirational Quotes for the Lonely Times
- "And be careful of what you do, 'cause the lie becomes the truth."—Michael Jackson
- "There's nothing wrong with you; there's a lot wrong with the world you live in."—Chris Colfer
- "Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly."—St. Francis De Sales
- "It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for something you are not."—Andre Gide
- "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."—Eleanor Roosevelt
- "If you care about what others think, then you will be forever their slave."
- "Don't ever let somebody tell you that you can't do something."—Will Smith
- "Life is not about people who act true to your face. It's about people who remain true behind your back."
- "Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had."—Ziad K. Abdelnour
- The Cure for Loneliness | Teens
This article helps Christian high school and college students navigate adolescence while keeping their faith intact.
- 10 Tips For Relieving Loneliness
Loneliness strikes almost everyone at some point in life. Here are 10 tips for relieving loneliness, from writing about your feelings to getting out and helping others.
- Are You Lonely? | Psych Central
This article discusses what loneliness is and some ways to relieve it.