My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I like writing articles that help bring people closer together.
“Goodnight, sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite!” Wait, what? Do we say this to kids just before they go to sleep? It might sound cute, that is, until you actually think about it.
Like many of the lullabies and nursery rhymes we grew up with, It’s a really horrible, ugly, nightmare-inducing thing to say to a child, no?
Surely there has be something a little nicer to say to someone just before they drift off into a world of complete vulnerability. Simply saying “goodnight” is so boring, and even “sweet dreams” is pretty played out these days.
Here, we are going to focus on cute ways to say goodnight; none of that nasty bedbug stuff!
Cute Ways to Say Goodnight to Children
- Say a child’s bedtime prayer: If you’re not familiar, one of the more common versions go like this: Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
- Sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”: Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.
- Wish upon a star: Starlight, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight. After you say this together, have the child make a wish upon a star and then close their eyes until morning for the wish to “come true.”
- Count sheep: One, two, three, I count the sheep, while I close my eyes and sleep. From time to time, kids will have a hard time falling asleep. This way of saying goodnight leaves them with a self-help method to aid them in drifting off into dreamland.
- Bedtime stories: Break open the child’s favorite storybook and read a story or two, tuck them in, and don’t leave the room without a goodnight kiss!
- Let them know you’re always there: I’ll always be here to tuck you in tight. A hug, a kiss, and say goodnight! And when there comes the morning light, I’ll still be here when you rise and shine!
More Cute Bedtime Sayings for Kids
- "Nighty Night."
- "Go to bed, you sleepy head!"
- "Don’t make me get the tickle monster!"
- "Sleep tight!"
- "Sleep snug as a bug in a rug!"
- "Time to ride the rainbow to dreamland!"
- "Goodnight, my little prince/princess!"
- "Don't forget to say your prayers!"
Read More From Wehavekids
- "Goodnight, the little love of my life!"
- "Lights out!"
- "See ya' in the mornin'!"
- "I'll be right here when you wake up."
- "I'll be dreaming of you!"
- "Dream of Mama/Papa!"
- "Jesus loves you, and so do I!"
- "Sweet dreams."
- "It's bedtime; now get to bed!"
Cute Ways to Say Goodnight to Your Significant Other
- Send a text message: Even if you just got off the phone from saying goodnight, send a quick, sweet message to give them one final thing to look at before they go to sleep.
- Hide a love note somewhere: Whether you sneak it into their pocket, under their car seat, or under their pillow (ideal placement), when you say goodnight, let them know where to look for a sweet note!
- Give a good massage: Saying goodnight while making someone feel great physically is such a wonderful way to send someone off to slumberland.
- Who can be the last to say goodnight? We are all familiar with this one and it’s cute once in a while. One of you will eventually cave. Who will it be?
- Pillow fight! Not only is this a fun, cute way for a couple to say goodnight, but you are both certain to get tired out enough to fall asleep, just don’t break anything!
- Goodnight kisses: “Open your arms and close your eyes, and you will get a big surprise!” When they comply, throw yourself into their arms and give them the best goodnight kiss, everk
More Cute Bedtime Sayings for Significant Others
- “Goodnight, sexy!”
- “Always and forever!”
- “You're the most wonderful husband/wife in the whole world!”
- “I’ll be dreaming of your face!”
- “I'm so lucky to have you Sweetheart!”
- “I love you to the stars and back!”
- “I’ll dream of you tonight and see you tomorrow, my love.”
- “You're my dream come true!”
- “I can't imagine myself with anyone else!”
- “If you need me, you know where to find me.”
- “Love you with all my heart.”
- “I'm yours, forever and always.”
- “Goodnight, the love of my life!”
- “Lookin' good in those pj's!”
- “I'd be lost without you!”
- “In your arms, is my favorite place in the world!”
- “Dream about me!”
- “You make me so happy!”
- “Can't wait to wake up next to you!”
- “You're my best friend.”
- “I hope you know how much I love you!”
Now that you have learned a few cute ways to say goodnight, it’s time to break away from the traditional “goodnight” and try something new.
Whether you establish a routine or find a simple way to say goodnight, make it special to you and the other person involved; after all, this is a personal and special time.
Think about how big of a privilege it is to be the last person seen by the person going to bed; you are likely setting the mood for the rest of their night!
Saying goodnight in different ways can become a fun game between you and your children or you and your significant other; and who knows? It might even inspire sweet dreams!
Charles kawiwi on June 15, 2020:
Thanks it's a good work
Kapil on May 21, 2019:
Plz send good night others opinions
Cliff on February 25, 2019:
A fancy word for good night
Enoch Kane from Ghana on July 19, 2018:
Great work, thanks for the imformation.
Pablos spicyweiner on March 23, 2018:
Thank you I did not know what to say to the girl I like
Rene' on June 24, 2017:
When I put my little one to bed I lie next to her for a bit and enjoy some cuddle bonding time I rub her belly lightly with my fingers when I feel its time to leave the room I look at her and say " Ok baby I need to leave now she says " I love you to the stars and back 100 times over" my reply is " Right back at ya Kiddo or my love" kiss her and I leave them room.
Tatiana (author) from Florida on February 05, 2015:
Hi there, Actually there's no connection between the number of toes or feet to the number of sayings. Would've been a great idea though! Thanks for commenting!
Rj3624 on February 05, 2015:
That is so cute yet I couldn't get past the title saying 50 cute ways to say good night yet there's only 40 toes and 8 feet. .. A I missing something?
Nancy Tate Hellams from Pendleton, SC on August 29, 2014:
It has been almost 15 years since we have had a baby in the family but we are expecting twin Grandchildren in December so I loved getting some fresh ideas on saying Good Night. Thanks.
Amanda Shannon on June 10, 2014:
As a stay at home mom we do not have a bedtime schedule/routine for our twins but I have been telling my husband I would really like to get them structured. This is very helpful in finding different things to incorporate into bedtime, thanks!!
ojasvi on April 17, 2014:
very lovely quotes...
kerlund74 from Sweden on February 23, 2014:
Lovely hub, I must come back to this:)
Tolovaj on February 20, 2014:
What a thoughtful list! Sweet:)
amiebutchko on December 30, 2013:
Cute hub! I will use your ideas to reinforce to my children how much I love them and how important they are to me!
Victoria Van Ness from Fountain, CO on November 24, 2013:
How precious! I love it!