50 Cute Ways to Say Goodnight
“Goodnight, sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite!” Wait, what? We say this to kids just before they go to sleep? It might sound cute, that is, until you actually think about it.
Like many of the lullabies and nursery rhymes we grew up with, It’s a really horrible, ugly, nightmare-inducing thing to say to a child, no?
Surely there has be be something a little nicer to say to someone just before they drift off into a world of complete vulnerability. Simply saying “goodnight” is so boring, and even “sweet dreams” is pretty played out these days.
Here, we are going to focus on cute ways to say goodnight; none of that nasty bedbug stuff!
Cute Ways to Say Goodnight to Children
- Say a child’s bedtime prayer: If you’re not familiar, one of the more common versions go like this: Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
- Sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”: Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.
- Wish upon a star: Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight. After you say this together, have the child make a wish upon a star and then close their eyes until morning for the wish to “come true.”
- Count sheep: One, two, three, I count the sheep, while I close my eyes and sleep. From time to time, kids will have a hard time falling asleep. This way of saying goodnight leaves them with a self-help method to aid them in drifting off into dreamland.
- Bedtime stories: Break open the child’s favorite storybook and read a story or two, tuck them in, and don’t leave the room without a goodnight kiss!
- Let them know you’re always there: I’ll always be here to tuck you in tight. A hug, a kiss, and say goodnight! And when there comes the morning light, I’ll still be here when you rise and shine!
What's your favorite bedtime story?
More Cute Bedtime Sayings for Kids
"Go to bed, you sleepy head!"
"Don’t make me get the tickle monster!"
"Sleep snug as a bug in a rug!"
- "Time to ride the rainbow to dreamland!"
- "Goodnight, my little prince/princess!"
- "Don't forget to say your prayers!"
- "Goodnight, the little love of my life!"
- "Lights out!"
- "See ya' in the mornin'!"
- "I'll be right here when you wake up."
- "I'll be dreaming of you!"
- "Dream of Mama/Papa!"
- "Jesus loves you, and so do I!"
- "Sweet dreams."
- "It's bedtime; now get to bed!"
Cute Ways to Say Goodnight to Your Significant Other
- Send a text message: Even if you just got off the phone from saying goodnight, send a quick, sweet message to give them one final thing to look at before they go to sleep.
- Hide a love note somewhere: Whether you sneak it into their pocket, under their car seat, or under their pillow (ideal placement), when you say goodnight, let them know where to look for a sweet note!
- Give a good massage: Saying goodnight while making someone feel great physically is such a wonderful way to send someone off to slumberland.
- Who can be the last to say goodnight? We are all familiar with this one and it’s cute once in a while. One of you will eventually cave. Who will it be?
- Pillow fight! Not only is this a fun, cute way for a couple to say goodnight, but you are both certain to get tired out enough to fall asleep, just don’t break anything!
- Goodnight kisses: “Open your arms and close your eyes, and you will get a big surprise!” When they comply, throw yourself into their arms and give them the best goodnight kiss, everk
More Cute Bedtime Sayings for Significant Others
“Always and forever!”
“You're the most wonderful husband/wife in the whole world!”
“I’ll be dreaming of your face!”
- “I'm so lucky to have you Sweetheart!”
“I love you to the stars and back!”
- “I’ll dream of you tonight and see you tomorrow, my love.”
“You're my dream come true!”
- “I can't imagine myself with anyone else!”
- “If you need me, you know where to find me.”
“Love you with all my heart.”
- “I'm yours, forever and always.”
- “Goodnight, the love of my life!”
- “Lookin' good in those pj's!”
- “I'd be lost without you!”
- “In your arms, is my favorite place in the world!”
- “Dream about me!”
- “You make me so happy!”
- “Can't wait to wake up next to you!”
- “You're my best friend.”
- “I hope you know how much I love you!”
Now that you have learned a few cute ways to say goodnight, it’s time to break away from the traditional “goodnight” and try something new.
Whether you establish a routine, or find a simple way to say goodnight, make it special to you and the other person involved; after all, this is a personal and special time.
Think about how big of a privilege it is to be the last person seen by the person going to bed; you are likely setting the mood for the rest of their night!
Saying goodnight in different ways can become a fun game between you and your children or you and your significant other; and who knows? It might even inspire sweet dreams!