Yapbeelee enjoys travelling, reading, and learning and writes about children's games and devices.
Nowadays, children as young as two play with electronic devices, including video games, televisions, mobile phones, apps, computers, tablets, and PSP games. According to the Pew Research Center, 88% of children under 12 use television, 67% a tablet, 60% a smartphone, and 44% a computer. Many electronic products are enjoyed by and targeted to the youth market, although it is also true that parents use these devices to keep their children quiet and occupied for periods of time.
Electronic devices can be useful but can also have a negative impact if they are over-used. Let's look at some of the pros and cons of allowing a young child to use a computer or electronic device.
More than a third of parents with a child under 12 say their child began interacting with a smartphone before the age of 5.
— (Pew Research Center)
Benefits of Children Using Electronic Devices
- Even for children younger than preschool age, electronic devices can help to stimulate the imagination and senses.
- Some electronic use may promote language and listening and help a child learn sounds and speech.
- Electronic devices and games may encourage cognitive learning and the development of analytical skills.
- This may in turn help children build innovative thinking and investigation skills, strategic thinking, and creativity.
- Using computers may improve manual dexterity.
- Mastering games builds confidence and develops hand-eye coordination.
- Building computer literacy is an important skill in today's world.
- Games that encourage players to move up levels and earn high scores may help develop mathematical and engineering skills, as well as the motivation to meet goals.
Drawbacks of Children Using Electronic Devices
- A survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that children spend more than seven hours per day on an electronic device on average. They can know how to manipulate a phone but not know how to tie their own shoes.
- It is important for children to spend some time doing outdoor activities. Time spent on electronic devices may limit outdoor activity.
- When children play violent games, they may become more aggressive. They are more likely to confront their teachers, peers, and relatives aggressively.
- Children who spend significant time on devices may have difficulty learning and concentrating on their studies. The more time they spend with digital media, the less time they spend reading, and this has negative effects on learning.
- Excessive computer exposure can be addictive.
- It can also lead to a sedentary lifestyle, poor health, poor time management, and unhealthy eating habits. Obesity, high blood sugar or diabetes, vision problems, are all higher risk with increased use of electronic devices.
- Studies have shown that using electronic devices too much can negatively affect a child’s learning and ability to self-regulate and may contribute to attention deficits, cognitive delays, increased impulsivity, impaired learning.
How to Manage a Child's Computer Exposure
It is impossible to completely eliminate electronic devices from a child's life, but there are ways to decrease their negative impacts.
- Know the rating of the games and television programs your child wants to engage with.
- Do not allow electronic devices in a child's bedroom.
- Make media rules. For example, place a time limit on how often or long a child is allowed to use any electronic device.
- Monitor your child's media consumption, including video games, television, movies, and the Internet.
- Set screen time gauges and limits on all your devices.
- Schedule downtimes when they are disconnected from all electronic devices.
- Communicate with your child about what they observe in video games, television programs, or movies. Ask them how they feel about the media they have access to and discuss it with them.
Are You a Parent?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Viewer on August 03, 2020:
Thanks, I got a lot of Information ; That's what I needed
big joe on February 28, 2020:
im in mrs gallagers
Read More From Wehavekids
:) on February 18, 2020:
what is your full name?
:) on February 11, 2020:
Thanks so much! I needed information for a debate at school about electronics and this is what I needed!
Royal on February 08, 2020:
didn't see what I was looking for. But tanks
celine on December 17, 2019:
that is true because the teacher told us to get information about electronics and i got a full grade thank you so much
wonder on December 05, 2019:
this is no help i asked for why is technology good for you and it gives me why they are bad and good mostly bad.
POOP on November 07, 2019:
no one likes savannah on October 23, 2019:
did any one ask you savannah
Deepak on October 16, 2019:
Good but I need more good and catchy points in this
Savannah on October 10, 2019:
this text was NOT helpful
suck a duck on September 25, 2019:
hey this was a great help
Unknown on August 08, 2019:
this article didn't help see I'm doing an debate on why I should enable to keep my phone all night and you didn't post anything on how it affects sleep and I didn't seem to see that but if you want to know how it helps with school than this article is a good thing
mr. student on August 02, 2019:
I'm a student and I think this was useful and dank in a good way
hhhhhhh on August 02, 2019:
??? on July 01, 2019:
I'm 11 and this really helps me in my essay writing about the advantages of electronic technology
Leo grey on June 05, 2019:
Asenath Miller on May 22, 2019:
This website is sure to help me on my PowerPoint for Health!
someone on April 02, 2019:
E.k;] on April 02, 2019:
yay.....finally i have a Source for mah work....
robert on March 23, 2019:
Name on March 19, 2019:
fuccboi on March 17, 2019:
whos the author
cole on February 28, 2019:
koa on February 26, 2019:
thanks can I have vbucks
surviv.io on February 25, 2019:
This help me to play them all night.
Nut on January 30, 2019:
Thx for my project
yeet on January 23, 2019:
bazinga nice helped me for my essay
Aafia on January 10, 2019:
It's a true that they have good as well as bad for children
Anita Rani on December 27, 2018:
Ranu on December 08, 2018:
Eletroic gadgets must to be used but not in a negative way
Chloe on November 26, 2018:
The negatives are over exaggerated and they don’t try on the positives.
anonymous on November 19, 2018:
i agree with the positives but some of the negatives are over exagerated
Nice on October 25, 2018:
Someone on October 25, 2018:
Karan on October 18, 2018:
Interesting topic i like it
Davlatjon on October 09, 2018:
To be honest with you i say excelent for it.
deez on October 08, 2018:
1st grade teacher on October 03, 2018:
Awesome thank you for your information. I understood it very well and it is perfect to teach a nice young class. Also it is a good article for parents to read and understand what to do with their children's electronics.
YEET on September 25, 2018:
So I am A Kid and I'm on my phone a lot but you should give your phone to a kid if they're stuck somewhere at least
Lucas on September 25, 2018:
I'm Also Writing An Essay About This
Katu on September 18, 2018:
Very interesting and it's a fact
shaham ali hallar khuhawar. on September 17, 2018:
shaham ali on September 17, 2018:
it is good but very short
shaham ali on September 17, 2018:
wow wonderful.I learnt a lot from it.
shaham ali on September 17, 2018:
very good article.
Someone on September 12, 2018:
luciana on September 03, 2018:
awesome i am writing an essay for my teacher on this subject and i thought it was funny that she wanted us to research the problem on our devices
Srushti on September 03, 2018:
harini on September 01, 2018:
hi ! thank you for the good information :)
Sst on August 03, 2018:
So much nice
Sankey on July 22, 2018:
Reporter ??? on July 19, 2018:
Hi, great article I really liked it! I think that this info could probably end the debate, "Are Devices Good For Children Or Bad?", personally, I was on the bad side but now I'm starting to change my mind! Keep up the good work!
Chiranth Gowda L on July 15, 2018:
Really very good topic
Eddie on July 05, 2018:
Really helpful and simple.
Vimal Tyagi on June 30, 2018:
Very nice and very helpful
treyshawn on May 31, 2018:
Khushi on May 30, 2018:
Matthew French on May 22, 2018:
This website is great and I recommend anyone to visit it is great because I know some down sides for el ctronics I never ever knew
Mr cool on May 16, 2018:
Cool God for work
Your mommy on May 09, 2018:
Arpita kaushal on May 04, 2018:
This is too right topic
Naitik gupta on May 03, 2018:
melissa on April 25, 2018:
this gives you good facts but the grammer
Dikshit on April 07, 2018:
Shourya on March 28, 2018:
Really nice and helpful
kyle b on March 15, 2018:
this artical was good,im doing a essay on why kids should not have electronics. I said that kids that have electronics their grades are going down every day. I have electronics like this one but,i dont use them to often. and when i do go on them i do stuff like this.
bob on March 06, 2018:
Mr.Hi on February 21, 2018:
It is a good article easy to copy for school
Hey on February 21, 2018:
I don't understand how people are calling out any grammatical errors when they can't hardly use correct grammar themselves, but I enjoyed the article. It will be a great resource for my senior paper. Thank you.
ioioiiioioioiooi on February 20, 2018:
im young and this is awsome for my essay
fdxcccccccjymyh on February 10, 2018:
I like essayvery useful
Hari on January 27, 2018:
It's good but many grammatical errors
J on January 25, 2018:
Fine but few mistakes
Happy on January 24, 2018:
This is good article but there are many grammatical mistakes. Thank you for this but improve these mistakes..
Cinni on January 03, 2018:
Its ok but somany grammatical mistakes
Its not too good
bharat on December 31, 2017:
it 's very good
Rishika on December 21, 2017:
Yes,it is fact
j on December 20, 2017:
This is article was extremly heapful for my arguement based essay
Anantha krishna on December 17, 2017:
The article was really helpful.... Thanks a lot for uploading such an amazing and helpful article ...
nishita on November 23, 2017:
its very nice thanku so much you are awesome now i am able to write and speak speech love u thanku mam
Bharat singh on November 20, 2017:
sai on November 11, 2017:
what is disadvantages
Julieta Trujillo on October 03, 2017:
I think that my sons has Been a Lot of time playing video Games and has been far of they realy life.
junior taguro mori on September 17, 2017:
yeah that was true
Kanesha on September 06, 2017:
What is this
Manish on September 01, 2017:
Good to read
dhruv on August 27, 2017:
nice but you should write it according to the pattern of article writting
Bhavyadeep on August 20, 2017:
It help me in my debate and also a good article
lucky on August 16, 2017:
Dhruv on August 16, 2017:
hate this article
kelessy on July 02, 2017:
thank you helped me a lot
Ilovemath on June 19, 2017:
Love this article
hari on June 16, 2017:
I am 1 on June 16, 2017:
I'm the one on June 08, 2017:
It's good and helps alot but......you need to add more abults in this. I know it's the children that start off but most kids look up to their parents and can catch the parents attitude very quickly.
Toast McCool on April 20, 2017:
They should put a blog on how to control children who play at night.
Yukta on April 15, 2017:
So much friends for uploading this articles
ian on April 11, 2017:
its funny how a article writer can come with so many grammatical errors, its a good article but next time DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK, its so important
Hizashi on April 05, 2017:
Good but this is the worst grammatical article I've ever seen