My daughter is about to turn 21 years old in the next few days. She has a boyfriend that stills does not want to work or be responsible for paying bills, and he is only a year older than her. Now they are both moving out of town, and neither has a job or any money. What should I do?


Let them go. They are not going to get far without money. They will figure that out and come back. At 21 she should have a plan in place; however, it sounds like they are just naive about what it takes to survive. I'm sure you will get a call within a few days of them leaving that they are either coming back or need gas money to get back. The other thing is, she has to figure out that her boyfriend isn't a provider on her own. Don't push her to leave this boy; it has to be her idea. She's an adult, and you need to look at her decisions that way. At some point, she has to become responsible for herself.

Updated on April 9, 2018

Original Article:

Adult Children—When to Help and When to Let Them Learn
By MD Jackson MSIOP